Seattle Youth Climate Action Network (CAN) empowers teens to address climate change in their communities through education, leadership, and action.
Seattle Youth Climate Action Network was launched by Woodland Park Zoo in January 2015 with initial funding from The Ocean Project, and represents a new local partnership between a range of climate and environment focused community groups and including teen programs at Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle Aquarium and Pacific Science Center. Since 2015, more than 430 teens have participated in monthly events, trainings, action campaigns, and our annual Youth Climate Action Summit!
- 345 youth participants attended events which included a climate action workshop, a climate career panel at the University of Washington, and a Youth Climate Action Summit.
- A youth-led Transportation Challenge in July and August resulted in teens logging 7,513 miles not driven alone, which equals 3,214 pounds of CO2 saved!
- 100 teens and 20 community leaders participated in the full-day Youth Climate Action Summit at Woodland Park Zoo on October 2nd.
In 2017, Seattle Youth CAN will:
- Host monthly climate events and quartlerly trainings
- Support teen groups in launching climate action projects
- Connect teens with local climate experts and leaders
- Offer an intensive summer learning program for 20 teens
- Host the 3rd annual Seattle Youth Climate Action Summit
This year, we plan to grow the network by creating opportunities for all interested teens in the Seattle area to get involved, and by encouraging other youth programs to join Seattle Youth CAN.
Teens: If you are a teen in the Seattle area and looking to learn more about climate change, connect with other people who care and take action, then you CAN join us! Fill out this form to receive information about upcoming events and activities.
Partners: If you are a youth program, club, or climate-focused community group that might be interested in being a part of the ACTION, we are looking for other partners to join the network. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org